Friday, January 9, 2015

3301-01-09: Trading rare goods

One of the commodities on the Altair market is Altairian Skin -- micro-organisms which feed on dirt and skin flakes and produce a bright color. Apparently it's considered fashionable?

Anyways, it's an item that only Altair has to offer, and as such it can be worth a considerable sum when sold in faraway systems. With only a few trade runs, I've made enough credits to upgrade ships again, to the Cobra Mk. III (cost: 379K). It's got a cargo hold that feels quite spacious -- 32 tons of goods, as opposed to the ~12 I'm used to.

I've heard that a lot of CMDRs run rare goods from Altair to Lave (118 LY away) and back, because Lave and the systems nearby produce a variety of different rare goods, and it's a nice profitable trade route in both directions. I made one such run myself, but I got jumpy with so many CMDRs about, since you never know who might be hostile, and I'm not well-equipped for fighting.

So I found another system -- about 130 LY in a completely different direction -- that produces rare goods at a good quantity. Most of the systems along the route are typically nearly empty, so it feels much safer.

Altair itself is still pretty busy, so I have to be careful there, but once I'm out of Altair I'm hopefully safe.

--

A few runs back and forth, and the Pilot's Federation has upgraded my trade rank from Mostly Penniless to Peddler, and then Dealer. More concretely, I now have over a million credits to my name. This might seem a paltry sum to some commanders, but as someone who started with a measly 1000 credits, it's nice to finally feel like my bank balance is comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment