Friday, January 2, 2015

3301-01-02: Wanted!

I've scraped together enough credits to pay for an upgrade to my Frame Shift Drive, and am working my way toward Altair. Along the way I run into the occasional criminal, who show up as "Wanted" after being targeted and scanned. Killing these criminals and collecting their bounties is a good source of credits, at least relative to the delivery missions that have been my bread-and-butter lately.

Criminals often hang out in Unidentified Signal Sources (USSs), which show up on my Sidewinder's HUD while in supercruise and can be tracked down and dropped in on. So I'm usually eager to explore USSs when they pop up.

I drop into an USS in the LFT 1404 system (37 light-years from Altair) and am surprised to instead find several canisters containing... rare artwork? Weird. It's just floating here in space -- finders keepers, right? I scoop up the artworks into my cargo hold.

Only to find that the local system security are now here with me, and have give me a 14,000 credit fine. Now I'm the wanted one, and the cops are firing on me! I hit my Frame Shift Drive and get the hell out of there... and out of LFT 1404 entirely.

14,000 credits is more than I have to my name. I sell the artworks at a nearby black market, but they're only worth 6,000 credits. I can't possibly afford to go back and pay the fine, so I'm just going to have to be careful to avoid LFT 1404. At least they're an Independent system -- if they had been allied with the Federation, I'm afraid that fine would probably follow me to all the nearby Federation systems, and then there'd be a whole ton of systems I'd have to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment